Why Use Natural Stone For Your Project?
• When using cast stone, special shapes require custom molds to be made at additional cost and time. Cut stone is created by cutting and sculpting a natural piece of stone to reveal your design.
• Cast stone uses added pigment and does not reflect the natural color of the product.
• A common problem for cast stone is crazing – a surface condition of small cracking that does not affect the structural properties of the stone, but does affect the appearance of the finished product.
• Cast stone can have problems with efflorescence which is caused by the combination of soluble salts and moisture in the produced stone unit. This also occurs in brick, masonry block and concrete and can be very unsightly.
• Cast or simulated stone requires a cure time which can add to the order lead time.
• Life and aging effects of certain manufactured cast stone product is not yet determined. Breakdown, crumbling and general deterioration are typical problems of aged cast stone products.
Natural stone is more suitable than cast stone for Green Design projects for several reasons:
• The amount of energy needed to produce and potentially cure the product is less than cast stone
• Natural stone has greater durability and strength for sustainable design
• Natural stone has a greater ease of maintenance and has the recyclable qualities of a 100% natural